If you are looking for the perfect accessory for summertime, think about a peridot bracelet or necklace. The green yellow hues of these gemstones are perfect for the bright sunny attire of spring and summer.
The stones in peridot necklaces are a magnesium iron silicate with the iron determining if it is lime green or a darker green yellow. It ranks a 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale of hardness so you should take care when wearing exposed pieces like a peridot ring or bracelet. Don’t be afraid to wear it though because it is a sunny and fun addition to your wardrobe.
While it may not be as popular as the other green gem, the emerald, it definitely has its fans. Ancient Egyptians battled an island of poisonous snakes for access to peridot mines. Today, the world is abuzz with the discovery of mines in Pakistan that produces exceptional quality stones. They are so fine that they are called “Kashmir peridot” which references that other desirable gemstone, the “Kashmir sapphire.”
The mines in Pakistan were discovered in the early 90s and its supply added to the other significant supply from Arizona. Most of the peridot earrings and other pieces are made of stones from those mines. Other U.S. locations have deposits as well as Afghanistan, Brazil and Myanmar.
A peridot birthstone celebrates August. It also commemorates the 16th wedding anniversary. But, you don’t need a special reason to own and wear this unique green gemstone. It is affordable and looks fabulous in any kind of setting. Wear a simple piece or a dramatic piece to brighten up your wardrobe.
Looking For Something?
- Does it hurt to get your ears pierced?
- Is There Really A Difference between an Eternity and an Anniversary Band?
- Top Ten Reasons Why Jewelry is the Perfect Gift
- Farming Pearls
- Mystic Fire Topaz - Blinded by the Light
- Warm Fuzzy
- The Benefits of Quartz
- Princess Diana's Sapphire Engagement Ring Finds a New Home
- The Significance of Masonic Jewelry
- Fun fact! #Emerald is thought to both quicken and improve the memory of the owner. #Gemstone #Facts 4 days ago
- @StormBCL Thanks for following us! Beautiful cover photo photography! 4 days ago
- #WhatMakesMeMad after spending lots of time creating products, finding out that half of them were discontinued. 4 days ago
March Top Picks
Shop GEMaffair via Mobile Web
Have a jewelry question? Need help finding the right present? Have an idea for a blog post?
No problem! Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 144,437 hits