From icy pale to ocean blue, aquamarine jewelry is a great choice if you are looking for something different. A member of the beryl mineral family, it is plentiful and affordable. It is also more durable than the other famous beryl, the emerald. It isn’t hard to find a flawless aquamarine pendant whereas all emeralds have inclusions, even fine quality ones.
If you were born in March, the aquamarine birthstone is all yours, but everyone can enjoy the versatility that goes along with all the different shades of blue. Believed to have come from a mermaid’s treasure chest, there is something magical about this gemstone. Even sailors believed it protected them while they were on the open sea.
With a rank of 7.5 to 8 on the Mohs scale of hardness, cleaning your aquamarine ring is fairly simple. Soak the stones in warm soapy water and give a gentle scrub with a brush. But, because many of them have been heat-treated to enhance the blues, don’t clean in an ultrasonic or steamer.
Faceted stones display just how brilliantly blue these stones are, but the cat’s eye cabochon is a unique accessory. Cutters love to create unique designs with aquamarine because it is so easy to cut. Its lack of inclusions makes it a cutter’s dream!
Wear these gems on an elegant evening out or just to the grocery store. They are meant to be enjoyed and they love the sunlight. When it hits them, it’s like sunrays hitting the ocean.
Looking For Something?
- Does it hurt to get your ears pierced?
- Top Ten Reasons Why Jewelry is the Perfect Gift
- My Ring is Tarnishing – is this real silver?
- Pendants and Charms, is There Really a Difference?
- Is There Really A Difference between an Eternity and an Anniversary Band?
- Gift Ideas
- What's the Difference Between Smoky Topaz and Smoky Quartz. Are You Getting Scammed?
- Jewelry Vocabulary Guide
- In the Jewelry Box
- It's a sunny day in Florida! Perfect day for flip-flips and the beach! Just going to leave this here... ow.ly/mrraP 3 years ago
- RT @GIAnews: Confucius wrote that #jade is like virtue & its brightness represents heaven. ow.ly/lF0zZ 3 years ago
- RT @GIAnews: The most favored #peridot color is a richly saturated pure grass green & is usually only found in 10+ cts. http://t.co/lH6Js3M… 3 years ago
March Top Picks
Shop GEMaffair via Mobile Web
Have a jewelry question? Need help finding the right present? Have an idea for a blog post?
No problem! Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 205,672 hits