The emerald is the only gemstone that is desired inclusions and all. Of course, the fewer the better, but jewelry lovers know that an emerald ring will have some of these character flaws. Simply a product of how they are formed, this beryllium aluminum silicate is known for the “jardin” of shapes, fissures and bubbles common to the emerald. Finding a near flawless emerald pendant of exceptional color surpasses the value of a fine quality diamond because it is so rare.
May babies get to celebrate with an emerald birthstone. Or you can commemorate your 20th and 35th wedding anniversaries with this luscious green gem.
Beautiful shades of green gems can be found in Colombia with other significant deposits in other South American locales as well as Africa and Asia. The color varies depending on the mine because it is the amount of chromium and vanadium in the earth that determines how vibrantly green the gem is. Also, look for transparent stones and bypass the low quality milky stones.
Because of the inclusions, an emerald bracelet should be carefully worn and cleaned. Yes, it is a beryl mineral with a rank of 7.5 to 8 on the Mohs scale of hardness, but the inclusions compromise its integrity. Just don’t knock around your pieces and they should be fine. Clean with gentle soap and water. Heat and chemicals can damage the stone and the oil treatment hiding the surface flaws.
Cleopatra recognized its beauty and it is just as popular today. Elegant and casual it is beautiful.
Looking For Something?
- Does it hurt to get your ears pierced?
- Gift Ideas
- My Ring is Tarnishing – is this real silver?
- Shades of Sapphire
- Top Ten Reasons Why Jewelry is the Perfect Gift
- Earring Styles: Drop or Dangle?
- Jewelry History - Rings
- Diamond Stud Earrings - A Girl's Best Friend
- What's the Difference Between Smoky Topaz and Smoky Quartz. Are You Getting Scammed?
- All About Gold: Types, Karat, Composition, Durability (TKCD)
- It's a sunny day in Florida! Perfect day for flip-flips and the beach! Just going to leave this here... ow.ly/mrraP 4 years ago
- RT @GIAnews: Confucius wrote that #jade is like virtue & its brightness represents heaven. ow.ly/lF0zZ 4 years ago
- RT @GIAnews: The most favored #peridot color is a richly saturated pure grass green & is usually only found in 10+ cts. http://t.co/lH6Js3M… 4 years ago
March Top Picks
Shop GEMaffair via Mobile Web
Have a jewelry question? Need help finding the right present? Have an idea for a blog post?
No problem! Send me an email at email@example.com
- 209,251 hits