Quartz is abundant, but the most desired variety is the purple gemstone found in amethyst jewelry. It is named after an incident involving Bacchus, the God of Wine, a young maiden named Amethyst and some tigers. Intriguing right? Another interesting bit about the name is that it comes from the Greek word “amethystos” meaning “not drunk.” Ironic, since Bacchus was the God of Wine!
If you were born in February, you know you get the amethyst birthstone. But, did you also know that it celebrates the 4th, 6th and 17th wedding anniversaries? Who really needs an excuse to buy or wear the beautiful shades of purple? Many of these have even been heat-treated to deepen the purple colors. Heated enough, and the amethyst will turn yellow and you have a citrine.
Today’s stones likely come from Brazil or Zambia where gems of all sizes are mined to produce amethyst earrings and other pieces. The various shades of purple are determined by the amount of iron in the earth.
Because it is quartz, amethyst is a durable stone and you can easily clean it with warm soapy water. But, they are also commonly heat-treated to enhance the colors so don’t clean using extreme temperatures. That means no ultrasonic machine or steamer.
A clear faceted stone shimmers in the light and adds drama to an evening gown, but it can also be dressed down with jeans and a top. For the unique girl, a cat’s eye cabochon amethyst ring is perfect. Whatever the cut, whatever the setting, the amethyst enjoys mythological popularity!
Looking For Something?
- Does it hurt to get your ears pierced?
- Gift Ideas
- My Ring is Tarnishing – is this real silver?
- Shades of Sapphire
- Top Ten Reasons Why Jewelry is the Perfect Gift
- Earring Styles: Drop or Dangle?
- Jewelry History - Rings
- Diamond Stud Earrings - A Girl's Best Friend
- What's the Difference Between Smoky Topaz and Smoky Quartz. Are You Getting Scammed?
- All About Gold: Types, Karat, Composition, Durability (TKCD)
- It's a sunny day in Florida! Perfect day for flip-flips and the beach! Just going to leave this here... ow.ly/mrraP 4 years ago
- RT @GIAnews: Confucius wrote that #jade is like virtue & its brightness represents heaven. ow.ly/lF0zZ 4 years ago
- RT @GIAnews: The most favored #peridot color is a richly saturated pure grass green & is usually only found in 10+ cts. http://t.co/lH6Js3M… 4 years ago
March Top Picks
Shop GEMaffair via Mobile Web
Have a jewelry question? Need help finding the right present? Have an idea for a blog post?
No problem! Send me an email at email@example.com
- 209,251 hits