That will blow your mind.
1. The average age of diamonds varies from one to three million years old.
2. In Asia, the people swallow pearls whole and powdered for medicinal purposes
3. Pure gold is always yellow in color, but it is much too soft to wear.
4. Lapis Lazuli was used by the Ancient Egyptians in the form of powder as eye shadow.
5. The only black gemstone that exists is the jet, composed of carbonized wood and coal, and usually comes from fossilized trees.
6. Garnet comes from the Latin word granatum, which also means pomegranate.
7. Blonde-haired women used to don opals to protect the blonde color of their hair.
8. Sapphires and rubies are mined together; both are a type of corundum mineral. Rubies are red due to chromium impurities, while sapphires get their color from iron, titanium, and chromium impurities. They are virtually indistinguishable other than color.
9. Men wore jewelry before women did; they even wore heels before women.
10. The ocean actually contains gold; it is assumed there is nearly 20 million tons of gold under the mysterious surface.
11. Emeralds were Cleopatra’s favorite gemstone.